Hogtown Garrison
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

X-Wing Miniatures Game

Go down

X-Wing Miniatures Game Empty X-Wing Miniatures Game

Post by NTaW Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:25 am

Hello all! I figured it was about time that I step up my posting here, see if we can't get some stuff flowing even if it isn't 40k related. For those of you who have never heard of this game, here is a link to the FFG site. There is a tutorial video that covers gameplay quite nicely, so I won't even go there. If you're even more interested than that, here's a free .pdf of the rules for the game as provided by FFG (take that, GW!). Typically you see games of 100 points played at events and tournaments, but you can play up to as many points as you want and the table size recommended for 'epic' play is 6'x3' which fits excellently on most dining tables (4' wide is brutal for a lot of tables) PLUS there's no real need for scenery past the obstacle tokens that you get with the core set as well as in the large ship expansion packs. I have seen asteroids made up on bases and placed on top of the obstacle tokens though, so that it looks cooler and you can still take the floating piece off when you land on one without losing its place. Here's some pictures from games I've played:

When the collection was small:
X-Wing Miniatures Game 16928759106_61e04bb094

Me learning how to fly my Rebels (terribly, in this picture):
X-Wing Miniatures Game 16334607973_ac516a287a

Me finally taking down my girlfriend's Decimator (that thing is a god damn sponge for hits):
X-Wing Miniatures Game 16332327534_be9f696d51

Games typically take about an hour to two, depending on the point size and commitment to getting things done. With beers and smoke breaks typically it goes closer to two hours, but the setup/tear down is nil compared to 40k. Game mechanics are pretty easy to get down, as you can see in the tutorial video, the real trick is getting your maneuvers down and not running into everything on the board. Seriously, first few games I flew like a mad man...now over two dozen games in I'm only just reigning in my wild turns.

I'm willing to play introductory games, I have at least 150 points of each of the three factions (250pts Rebel, 250pts Imperial, and 150pts Scum & Villainy) and the desire to grow my gaming group. I live out in Mississauga right on the Lakeshore GO line but hit up Dueling Grounds and Meeplemart every now and again on weekends. This game is also WAY easier to play at home, as the standard gameplay mat is 3'x3' and fits on just about everything aside from coffee tables.

Feel free to post up any questions you may have about the game! It's totally taken me by storm, and the simplicity of it (plus the iconic Star Wars ships that come painted and assembled) has gotten several of my non table-top minded friends into it pretty hard as well. Plus...who doesn't want to pilot the Millennium Falcon?!
NTaW
NTaW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

X-Wing Miniatures Game Empty Re: X-Wing Miniatures Game

Post by NTaW Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:43 pm

Ha! I forgot I posted this. I got the Falcon!!

X-Wing Miniatures Game 16363425143_51d83ee6a9_z

This picture is a beautiful memory for me, as it was during a massive game against my girlfriend (that she invariably won, she's a god damned shark at this game) and I blew up that Imperial ship (the VT-49 Decimator) in one amazing blaze of firepower. I did something like 9-11 damage on that bastard ship in one turn, which is pretty friggin' stupid.

More people should play this game! cheers
NTaW
NTaW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down